The #1, all-time biggest misconception we’ve seen with business owners regarding their websites is that they don’t feel they NEED a blog. Most people don’t realize how much blogging can actually help and that blogging doesn’t have to always mean writing long, detailed articles/stories/guides/etc. A blog post can be a quote with an image, a how-to article, an announcement about a new product or service, or, yes, a longer, mostly text article. Having an active blog on your site not only helps your website (think organic SEO due to traffic), but also your business (think sales)!
That’s the whole reason people have websites for their businesses, right? To provide information about their shop, cause, art or whatever…which will [hopefully] result in sales, donations, exposure, and more!
Think of it like this: A website without a blog is like Popeye without his spinach. In other words, it’s pretty weak. But, when you blog, you add the spinach and it becomes a super power!Your website without a blog is like Popeye without his spinach! #websitetips Click To Tweet
Furthermore, blogging makes Google happy by providing fresh, updated content. By making Google (and the other search engines) happy, you’ll be rewarded a little SEO boost. Think organic SEO.
Here are some ways blogging can help:
- Increasing reach: Each blog post is linked to a page, and Google indexes it. (That means more places where people can find you.)
- Establishes you as an authority in your industry.
- Gives you a little SEO boost. Fresh, relevant content = happy Google.
- It’s a great way to connect and engage with your audience and customers.
But that’s just the first step. You’ve got to SHARE that blog post so people will actually SEE it, and then THEY’LL share it, and then Google will like it even more because you have more traffic and they’ll give you that extra SEO boost. You get the picture, right?
Here are some essential blogging and blog-sharing tips:
- Join relevant groups on Facebook and share your posts when appropriate.
- Share your posts on your business Facebook page, Twitter, Instagram, LinkedIn, and Pinterest .
- Make your posts easy for your readers to share on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, LinkedIn, and Pinterest…or wherever your ideal clients like to hang out on the web. Adding sharing buttons via Shareaholic or Shariff to your site is key!
- Keep a list of blog topics and add to it when you think of something great. Need help? Try out this cool tool: Blog Topic Generator.
- Use a blog scheduler to stay organized like Buffer or Hootsuite.
- Engage with your readers. Build friendships – not followers. Don’t forget to respond to readers’ comments – whether on social media or your website.
- Share your blog posts via an email marketing service (like MailChimp, etc.).
If you want to hide your business and not make sales or engage with your customers, we highly recommend not blogging…or not sharing your blog content when you publish it. [Insert major sarcasm here!]
Do your business a favor and give it some love! Blog, share, repeat!