“Color is a power which directly influences the soul.” ~ Wassily Kandinsky
When you’re building your new website, choosing the perfect color combination is one of the big-dog processes of the visual design (just like choosing the fonts and images), and getting it right is essential. Good news is, it’s one of the fun aspects of a new website design, too!
Is your website’s color scheme producing the response you intended?
Your web color palette should work together to evoke a feeling, inspire, and enhance your user’s experience.
When planned carefully – with your visitor and brand message in mind, of course –
good the perfect color choices will evoke trust, portray professionalism, ensure readability and increase visitor engagement. Perfecto!
Though, making the right color choices to convey the perfect culture, instinct, mood (+ more) for your business takes a bit of brain psychology.
“Colors must fit together as pieces in a puzzle or cogs in a wheel.” – Hans Hofmann
Choosing your website colors is more than sticking with what YOU like personally but rather by ringing true to your brand culture and digging into what resonates with your dream client.
Whether we realize it or not, color does have meaning, and when we visit someone’s website, their website colors do spark feelings in our brain.
- Reds: Energy, power, courage, love and desire
- Oranges: Creativity, wisdom, action, joy and health
- Blues: Trustworthiness, truth, wisdom, loyalty, integrity, healing, tranquility and understanding
- Greens: Growth, harmony, freshness, healing, safety, nature, wealth and peace
- Yellows: Joy, happiness, intellect and energy
- Pinks & Purples: Love, friendship, royalty, luxury, creativity, beauty and excellence
- Beige, Browns, Tans: Comfort, friendliness, dependability, nature, productivity and strength
- Whites: Purity, clean, light, perfection and goodness
- Blacks, Greys, Silvers: Elegance, power, style, high quality, classic and dramatic
Where do you start?
If you have specific colors for your brand, start there. These are the colors you want to use on your website. Of course, there are exceptions, like…if you have way too many colors, those colors won’t look good or are too loud, too stark, etc., or if you’re in the process of updating your brand – in which case, always do that first. Once your brand design is complete, your web designer will use your new color scheme to create the perfect vibe for your online home.
Our favorite color tools:
When you need a little inspiration for the perfect palette, try these:
- Canva Colors
- Design Seeds
- Coolors to create your own palette
- Adobe’s Color Wheel
- December.com if you need help finding HEX codes for a specific color
- Our “Colors for your Brand” Pinterest Board
When you’re planning your new website be sure to choose the perfect colors to reflect your brand and connect to your visitors in a positive way.
We love color tools, so if you’ve found other places for pretty palettes, please share! 🙂
In need of a brand makeover sweetie? We can help.