Keep your brain on track and focused on business. If you work from home like we do, you know it’s hard to keep focused. Heck, it’s hard to focus when working from anywhere! Phone, family, lunch, pets, laundry, Facebook, online sales at Old Navy, ooooo squirrel!
So, instead of getting lost in Creative Market (which is easy to do), we use a simple tool that keeps us focused and productive.
Errday. Whether we’re designing, coding or taking care of other business duties, using certain ambient sounds helps us work better and more creatively.Can't focus? Oooo squirrel! Get our secret to staying productive. Click To Tweet
It’s all based on science.
Science people! The nerdy me thinks it’s cool, the down-to-business me doesn’t care as long as I’m being productive and gettin’ shi*t done!
The first thing that comes to mind when I think of science is: She blinded me with science! You too? See distraction…
80’s pop science is awesomeness, true. But… real science, is even cooler. Here’s a short description of how noise works to help us focus from Coffitivity:
“According to a peer-reviewed study out of the University of Chicago, A moderate level of ambient noise is conducive to creative cognition. In a nutshell, this means being a tiny bit distracted helps you be more creative.”
Our productivity secret weapon.
In order to keep our distracted brains on track, we use one of these scienfabulous tools.
All you do is open a new browser window, hit play and get to work.
- Spotify Coffee Shop album – Has free and paid versions. This is my #1 go-to.
- Harry Potter Ambient Sounds – By Amient-Mixer.com. You can actually find all kinds of ambient goodness here. Not a Harry Potter fan? Try out some Doctor Who or choose from holiday sounds, movie sounds, nature and others.
- A Soft Murmur – A variety of ambient sounds from birds chirping to singing bowls to rain and more! You can even combine sounds if choosing one just won’t cut it.
- Rainymood – Makes you want to curl up with your computer and get to work.
- [email protected] – Free 30-day trial. Use this link to get 10% off a subscription.
Give it a try! I mean, all it can do is help, right?Shiny object syndrome? Do what we do...kick it with science! #productivitytips Click To Tweet
Does this brain-focusing trick work for you? If not, tell us how you stay focused? Please share and we’ll all be more productive! 🙂