What’s the difference between a WordPress blog and a WordPress website (or any type of blog vs. website)? News flash! Nothing! At least as far as the structure goes. The differences, however, lie in the purpose of the site.
A blog is actually a website behind the scenes. Cool huh? Which one you choose to have (a website that’s more informational/business-focused or blog-focused) all depends upon your preferences and needs.
- A blog’s primary focus is to share news, updates, etc.
- Is less formal (than a site used for a business).
- Content is updated regularly via your blog posts.
- Has a minimal amount of pages (besides the blog). Usually only an “About” page and a “Contact” page.
- Is more social and interactive.
- May or may not have a small shop.
- Is usually less expensive than a website due to the lower amount of design, development, pages and other functionality needed for most businesses.
- A website’s primary focus is usually to provide information, educate and sell services or products.
- Is usually more formal and professional and preferred for businesses.
- Page content isn’t updated as often – only as needed.
- Has several pages to provide information such as types of services, testimonials, FAQs, portfolio, etc.
- Is usually not as interactive socially as a blog-focused site.
- May or may not have a shop, appointment calendar/scheduler, or other special functionality.
- May or may not have a blog on the site. (Though we think blogging is a must, see why.)
Since a WordPress blog and WordPress website are essentially the same behind the curtain, the way things work and are maintained the are exactly the same, too.
SAME FOR BOTH
- Optimizing for SEO.
- Making sure you have regular backups.
- Obtaining reliable security.
- Completing your updates to plugins, WordPress and the theme.
- Adding/editing Users.
- Can (and should) be mobile-friendly/responsive.
- Updating/editing/adding posts and pages.
- Both need a theme installed.
- Need web hosting.
We hope this helps clear up some of the confusion between blogs and websites! Don’t forget, we can help you with either one!
To stay in the know of what we’re doing around here (on our blog) and what shenanigans we’re up to, pop in your email address below and grab everything in our Golden Vault while you’re at it!
Thoughts? Questions? Jokes? Talk to us below! We love getting to know you (and your brain better). 🙂